Sunday, October 3, 2010

Homelessness and the Big Bang

San Diego has more homeless than any other US city, according to my new friend, John the Marine Biologist. I met John while checking out the first few miles of our route on a training ride today. John was riding a recumbent, and this select group of cyclists usually pedal together for a time when we meet, comparing notes and being bemused at all of the prejudices against recumbents held by traditional cyclists. As we pedaled the stunningly beautiful path along a canal which ended at Dog Beach, the route ducked under the many bridges across the canal. Each underpass was inhabited by a number of homeless. Probably 50 or so in the less than three mile ride to the beach. John commented that if he were ever unfortunate enough to be homeless, he would want to be in San Diego. The citizens are tolerant, the climate is awesome, the scenery beautiful. I wasn’t so sure I agreed, but I will say that compared to the homeless I have encountered in other metro areas, these folks seem more permanent. Each has a large shopping cart, or a wheelchair stuffed with possessions; several I noted have bikes similarly laden. I wondered how many are homeless by choice, rather than circumstance. I wondered what kind of public assistance they desire, and whether they are getting it. I love having homes to live in. I can’t imagine being happy under a bridge with my shopping cart. Are any of them happy?

John the marine biologist is a classic laid back California dude, with pony tail, beard and tevas for bike shoes. He was just cruising the bike lanes, so he showed me how to access the path and how to get out of town. On the way back we spoke of his dream to ride transam. For him, it would be starting from his own back yard.

In the afternoon Carl arrived and we decided to go back to dog beach to check out the route and water temperature. I wanted to swim in the Pacific. It was not to be. ½ mile down the road there was a sound like a gunshot. My rear tire had exploded. Again. Third time this summer. And when it explodes, both tube and outer tire are ruined. I was done for the day. I am pondering what is systemically wrong with my rear wheel that is causing this recurring problem. My latest theory is that when I put in 100 psi it seems to explode when it heats up. I will try running it at 90 psi for a while. When we get to Arizona on Tuesday, the air temperature will probably be over 100 degrees.

2 comments:

  1. We prayed for you at Church of the Good Shepherd this morning. I told them you were riding to benefit a philanthopic organization. It sounds like you will have a lot of fun. I hope the "big bangs" you get are few and far between, but that you get a real bang out of the trip.
    Bill and Denise Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the prayers. We felt them!
    Today was a very good day. No blowouts. Did 30 miles to get a headstart on tomorrow's planned 80 mile trek with a 3500 foot climb. Now it is down to 50 miles with "only" a 3000 foot climb!

    Did the traditional dip of tires into the sea, dodged wet dogs and wiped out
    surfers, and were told to get out of the rip current by the lifeguard truck.

    Then we ended up cycling past San Diego stadium and right thru the Chargers traffic
    jam.

    Hope you'll follow our exploits and comment often. Then get ready to do it
    yourself! --

    ReplyDelete